Silver Dragon's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel of Topics #4

Go down

Wheel of Topics #4 Empty Wheel of Topics #4

Post by Flege2 Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Space, the last frontier(and the origin of so many science fiction stories, both good and lame). My mission: to teach you about the wormhole(I'm not a quantum physicist, so don't expect too much). Before anything else, I must draw the line between truth and fiction.

By definition, a wormhole is an hypothetical topological feature of spacetime that would be, fundamentaly, a "shortcut" through spacetime(it's from wikipedia). In layman term, it means that, in theory, some part of our normal space and time has "fold" or "tunnel" that lead from point A to point B(A being the observed opening, and B being an unknown end) in other part of space and time. If we follow the generaly accepted theory(the one most scientist follow), it could allow normal matter to pass through it freely if both ends is wide and stable enough.

Now this is where the scientist hit a wall(BAAMM!!! sorry couldn't resist). All the naturally occuring wormhole(if the theories are true) are smaller than most known matter. Then how do they know wormhole exist? They don't, and this is why it's hypothetical. It goes down to the quark and even smaller(A quark is a fragment of the element found in atoms, the proton, neutron and electron).

Also, wormholes aren't affected by normal matter, wich mean that anything that goes in the periodic table can't change it(wich is also why normal matter can travel freely through it). To be able to make further research, they need a way to measure, analyse and maybe even control it. The solution: "exotic" matter, or matter that doesn't follow the rule of common physics(quatum physics follow modified rule).

Because wormhole travel through both space and time, the control of this phenomenon could allow faster-than-light travel, time travel and even portal to other dimension. Well, the spaceship(or other vehicle) wouldn't actually travel faster than the light, but if you fire a beam of light at the same time the vehicle goes through a wormhole with a destination many lightyears in distance(yes it's a measure of distance), the ship will arrive almost instantaneously and the light beam will take many years. This goes in the category of faster-than-light travel.

I don't have to explain time travel I hope, but the portal to other dimension may need more explaination. It's all part of the multiverse theorem, wich say that each time you choose your way(both consciously, inconsciously or by accident, falling sick going in the last one), you change the outcome of the futur. Each choice create a new dimension, wich can lead to so many different dimensions that they are almost infinite. A good example of this can be seen in Back to the Futur II.

Even though it is hypothetical, it doesn't keep science fiction writer to make good use of it. To tell you the truth, it was used in Sci-Fi before it was actualy known by the name of wormhole. In Star Wars, the hyper-space driver found in almost all spaceships use a similar function. It create a "tunnel" through space, allowing spaceships to travel faster(if I make a mistake in this description, simply tell me).
The Stargate in the movies and the series of the same name use wormhole too. It doesn't create a fullsize wormhole, instead it create an energy field that convert matter to energy and send it through a stabilized wormhole to another portal set to reverse conversion. It's "hollywood science", so it doesn't have to be totaly true.

It was a long one, hope you enjoy it.

Grim the pirate Wheel of Topics #4 Yellowskullxbones
Flege2
Flege2
Dragon Chow
Dragon Chow

Male Posts : 51

https://www.facebook.com/flege2

Back to top Go down