Silver Dragon's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel of Topics #25

Go down

Wheel of Topics #25 Empty Wheel of Topics #25

Post by Grimlock13 Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:03 pm

This is a late request(it was lost in my list, sorry). The origin of the word Europe, name of half this world main continent(ok less than half, but no one seem to agree on where to place the frontier between Europe and Asia).

The origin are visibly mixed. The greek had many mythic and historic figure using the name Europa, but many historian can't see how could lead to naming a whole land with it. For that you must search in ancient phenician history. The phenician used to call the greek coast with two name, depending on if they faced the rising sun or the setting sun. The western coast as Ereb, while the eastern coast was Assou. Historian think that with a possible mistranslation and the work of time, the term Europa began to be used for all territory to the west of Greece and Asia for all territory to the east. Although those term where only used by the literate(poeple that had a good education, not many in those time) until late in the renaissance. And this is(possibly) how Europe gain his name(if you know something else or if I'm wrong on something, tell me).

Well it was short, but I think all the info needed are here. On this, goodnight and to the next WoT.

Grim the pirateWheel of Topics #25 Yellow12
Grimlock13
Grimlock13
Dragon Chow
Dragon Chow

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down