Silver Dragon's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel of Topics #24

Go down

Wheel of Topics #24 Empty Wheel of Topics #24

Post by Grimlock13 Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 pm

As I read through the mass mail, I saw this two word: Dark Matter. I have heard of them before, but only briefly. I thought to myself that it could be a good idea to learn more about it. How wrong I was. Remember when I said that some of the multiverse theorem where hard to understand? This is a nightmare, but for you all, I will still try to explain it. (as always, I'm no physicist, so error can happen)

Dark matter is relatively new theorem. When they tried calculate the speed of expansion of the universe in an attempt to precisely calculate the moment of it's creation, they discovered something wrong. The universe isn't moving the way they thought it should be. Instead of slowing, it is accelerating. This acceleration go against many rule off common physics. After many years of observation, they discovered a strange phenomenon, a field of gravity where there is no stelar mass(no star, no planet, no moon, nothing). Even black holes leaves traces other than gravity, making them at least partialy visible in some visual and non-visual spectrum(light decomposition and x-rays, among many other).

The scientist started to speculate about what is creating those gravity field and what are its effect on the universe. Some of them theorised that those gravity anomaly are the fuel that move the universe. But this didn't explained what was causing this phenomenon. One of the idea to back it was the dark matter. Here it become complicated. Dark matter is a free moving, high gravity type of matter that emit almost no energy(can be wrong here). It means that it doesn't produce any detectable energy other than gravity and it can move through other matter without affecting it too much.

Like for wormhole, dark matter study is a "theory only" kind of science, since all attempt to detect actual dark matter(and not its effect) were inconclusive(can't prove or disprove it). If we follow all the theory about it, it is supposed to be around 24% of the mass of the universe, while normal matter is only 5% of it. The last 70% is composed by dark energy, another theorem based on dark matter. The only thing I can clearly say about it is: It's a pretty farfechted idea created in an attempt to explain something they can't with their actual knowlegde of the universe(It's the way I see it).

Grim the pirate Wheel of Topics #24 Yellow12(never more...)
Grimlock13
Grimlock13
Dragon Chow
Dragon Chow

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down